The application has been designed to be easily navigated using with a keyboard using the standard keys for your browser. For most browsers the following keys work:
- 'Tab' key to focus on the next link
- 'Shift' + 'Tab' to focus on the previous link
- 'Enter' to activate the currently selected link
Screen Reader Navigation
- 'H' to cycle forwards through the headings
- 'Shift' + 'H' to cycle backwards through the headings
- '1' to navigate to the next level 1 heading (or a number between 1 and 6 to navigate to the next heading on this level)
- 'Shift' + '1' to navigate to the previous level 1 heading (or a number between 1 and 6 to navigate to the previous heading on this level)
- 'Insert' + 'F6' in JAWS or NVDA + 'F7' in NVDA to provide a list of all headings
- Press the 'Tab' key to proceed through the links or 'Shift' + 'Tab' to cycle backwards through the links
- 'Insert' + 'F7' to provide a list of all links
For JAWS 10-12 landmark keyboard navigation in virtual mode is:
- next landmark ';' (semi-colon)
- previous landmark 'Shift' + ';' (semi-colon)
- list landmarks 'Ctrl' + 'Ins' + ';' (semi-colon
For NVDA 2011.2 the landmark keyboard combination in virtual buffer mode is:
- next landmark 'D'
- previous landmark 'Shift' + 'D'
- list landmarks (and list/headings) NVDA + 'F7'
VoiceOver users can navigate a page via landmarks by choosing 'landmarks' in the 'web rotor', then finger flicking up or down will move to the next or previous landmark.
The site is designed to work seamlessly across screen sizes. This makes it possible to use your browser's "zoom" feature to make content larger and easier to read without causing a horizontal scroll bar to appear.
Changing the colour and font of the display
This site does not currently offer alternate colour schemes, however, you can use the controls in your browser to change the size of the text or the colour of the display.
For example, to override website font and colour settings in Internet Explorer:
- Open Internet Explorer by clicking the Start button, and then clicking Internet Explorer.
- Click the Tools button, and then click Internet Options.
- Click the General tab, and then click Accessibility.
Select the Ignore colours specified on web pages, Ignore font styles specified on web pages, and Ignore font sizes specified on web pages check boxes, and then click OK twice.
f1.channel4.com aims to provide a website that is accessible to the widest possible audience, regardless of technology or ability. We are actively working to increase the accessibility and usability of our website and in doing so we've been using the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.0 Level AA.
- The colour contrast of text conforms to at least WCAG AA standard.
- There are text alternatives for all non-text content - except for video content, and third party content – see limitations below.
- Keyboard navigation has been carefully considered and tested - see keyboard controls.
- Modal dialogs / popups have been avoided.
- There is a skip to content link.
- Focused elements are clearly highlighted.
- Section headings are used to organise the content.
- Landmark roles have been employed to help you to navigate each page.
- We have avoided moving / autoplaying content.
- To help you enjoy this content on a variety of platforms it has been designed to be mobile friendly, and resize for a variety of screen sizes and devices.
Due to certain constraints, we have had to include technologies and features that can cause accessibility issues for some users.
- Video player - whilst this has some accessibility features, it is not fully accessible.
- Video content - it has not been possible to provide closed captions on the video content shown on the site. see warnings above.
- Social media feeds are third party applications and may not be fully accessible
f1.channel4.com does not assume responsibility for third party applications.
Let us know if you have difficulties using this site
If you find anything on the site difficult to use please let us know. Full details on contacting us can be found at 4Viewers. Please don't forget to mention that you are contacting 4Viewers regarding the f1.channel4.com website.